Wednesday 25 June 2014

June Mini Reviews!


Four Years Later by Monica Murphy
Over. That about sums up everything in my life. Suspended from my college football team and forced to cut back my hours at The District bar because of my crappy grades, I can’t keep turning to my sister, Fable, and her pro-football playing husband, Drew, to bail me out. I just can’t seem to find my own way. Weed and sex are irresistible temptations—and it’s messed up that I secretly hand over money to our junkie mom. A tutor is the last thing I want right now—until I get a look at her.
 Chelsea is not my type at all. She’s smart and totally shy. I’m pretty sure she’s even a virgin. But when she gives me the once over with those piercing blue eyes, I’m really over. But in a different way. I won’t deny her ass is killer, but it’s her brain and the way she seems to crave love—like no one’s ever given her any—that make me want her more than any girl I’ve ever met. But what would someone as seemingly together as her ever see in a screwed up guy like me?

Thoughts 
I liked Owen as a side character in the other books so I was looking forward to seeing Owen as a main character. I wasn't disappointed, slightly too much swearing but it was in character! Owen was more complex than I had imagined especially his relationship with his mother. It was great to catch up with Drew and Fable and to see them from a completely different view of them and their past. I loved Chelsea and Owen together, they were such a well suited couple. Chelsea needed to learn to relax and Own needed to focus so they worked well! Chelsea was less confident than Jen and Fable, the other female leads, which made this book more unique and added depth to her character. I loved the side cast again! Wade was still entertaining and a great friend. I loved his practical advice and how well he knew Owen. I definitely could of read more on Kari! Four Years Later is a great addition to the series, I just wish the ending could have been a bit longer!

More Than Music by Elizabeth Briggs.
Music major Maddie Taylor just finished her junior year of college and has a summer internship lined up with the LA Philharmonic, yet every night she practices guitar and secretly dreams of a louder life. But geeky girls like her don't get to be rock stars. That is, until tattooed singer Jared Cross catches her playing guitar and invites her to join his band on The Sound, a reality TV show competition. Once on the show, Maddie discovers there’s more to Jared than his flirty smile and bad boy reputation – and that he’s just as big a geek as she is. With each performance their attraction becomes impossible to ignore, but when the show pressures them to stay single they’re forced to keep their relationship secret. As the competition heats up, Jared will do whatever it takes for his band to win, and Maddie must decide if following her dream is worth losing her heart.
Thoughts 
I adored The Voice format of the competition, The Voice is a more adaptable format I've seen in a book as it remained focussed on the band. I liked the mentors, no idea if they are based on the actual mentors as I've never seen the US version. I loved the band dynamic, Kyle was just lovely, Hector's moodiness was fun and Jared was just a Rock star. The characters were so diverse and fun. I liked how easier Maddie was accepted into their band and they had such a great musical philosophy.Maddie herself was very realistic and witty, as she grew closer to the band I enjoyed the rapport she had with each member. Julia and Carla were great as supportive cheerleader friends to Maddie. Dan was a great mentor- made you think what goes on behind the scenes!
However the ending felt rushed with a few questions left unanswered. I will be keeping Elizabeth Briggs are my radar though!
 
 
I enjoyed these two- they were light and easy to read!
Have you read either of these authors?
Lettie
Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!