Wednesday 23 April 2014

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone. 
Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.
Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?
Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.

Why?
I loved the sound of These Broken Stars as soon as I read the blurb! I was thrilled to get approved for it!
First Impressions!
Not sure what to expect. Could it be Titantic esque? Why didn't I make the connection earlier!

What I loved:
Lilac- Lilac started out as quite whiny and selfish, I liked how critical of herself she was as it made it clear that she was the way due to her background. I loved watching her adapt to life after the crash on the planet, she was surprising hard working and stubborn. I enjoyed the relationship between Tarver and Lilac especially as it moved from stubborn silence to witty banter and tender moments. Lilac's expertise with electronics was understandable but surprising especially to  surprised Tarver and showed how layered Lilac's character was. I also loved how she really rose to the occasion when she needed to provide for them. I would love to go into more detail but trying to avoid spoiling! Lilac proved to be a much stronger character than I expected and I enjoyed how she grew and developed and adapted well. I would have loved for more on her family background!
Tarver- Such a great character with an interesting background. I enjoyed hearing all about his family and career. I loved his determination and practicality and especially his constant battle between covering lots of ground and compassion for Lilac's wellbeing. I liked how he was always thoughtful with the way he handled Lilac despite disliking her in the beginning. I found him to be a very straight forward character who at times struggled to cope with the encounters on the planet.
Plot-  It was Titanicesque in as much as a an expensive large ship crashed unexpectedly with a huge loss of life but otherwise completely different and completely different to what I expected. The plot was filled with hints, questions and twists. The brief chapters that took place on the ship made for an interesting beginning laying down the foundations of the society and Tarver and Lilac's lives. I enjoyed the trekking about the planet and how it created plot points and built relationships. The book kept me on the edge of my seat with each twist wondering why, how and what next. Especually one major twist which I had to find out The planet itself was one of the greatest mysteries and twists, it actually reminded me of Lost in that respect. I can't wait to learn more on the world as we only got two polar opposite views. Despite being the first in a series the ending was satisfying and showed the character development and introduced several caracters I'm sure will be popping up soon!


Rating!
Wonderfully unique plot, brilliant characters and so many surprises! Renewed my love of Sci-Fi!
 
I cannot wait for more of this world!
Much Love!
Lettie
Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!