Thursday 9 January 2014

Racing Savannah by Miranda Kenneally.

They’re from two different worlds.
He lives in the estate house, and she spends most of her time in the stables helping her father train horses. In fact, Savannah has always been much more comfortable around horses than boys. Especially boys like Jack Goodwin—cocky, popular and completely out of her league. She knows the rules: no mixing between the staff and the Goodwin family. But Jack has no such boundaries.
With her dream of becoming a horse jockey, Savannah isn’t exactly one to follow the rules either. She’s not going to let someone tell her a girl isn’t tough enough to race. Sure, it’s dangerous. Then again, so is dating Jack…

Why?
After finally reading Catching Jordan I was eager to read more of the Hundred Oaks series.

What I loved:
Theme- I like to think of each Hundred Oaks book as having a theme e.g.. American Football, Baseball etc. I loved the focus on Horses and racing. I enjoyed learning about the more background side of things and the technical part. I loved Savannah and Jack bonding over horses and jockeying, especially training Star.
Series links- I always love when previous characters crop up and you get to see them through different perspectives. I especially liked how Savannah viewed Vanessa as rich, showing how much Vanessa's family had changed from earlier books! I loved the wedding which brought back a lot of older characters. It was great to see siblings and catch glimpses of other protagonists.
Savannah- I really liked Savannah. She came across as a very committed and hardworking girl. Despite the lack of encouragement or real attention from her father she was ambitious and financial clever especially when it came to pursuing work for herself. I loved how easily she connected with animals especially Star. I did find her extremely overly judgemental of status and money to the extent that she was actually far worse than the people she perceived as snobby. I loved seeing her confidence grow and become more trusting.
Side cast- I always love a well crafted side cast! Rory was a great character, he was so welcoming and friendly towards Savannah. I loved the connection to Stealing Parker and seeing more of that story. I really liked Rory with Vanessa, definitely hoping to see more of them! It was great to revisit Vanessa and see how vibrant and friendly she was. I loved reading about her and how she brought out a less serious side of Savannah. Colton was another fun addition to the group, I found him witty and funny especially with Kelsey. I even liked Kelsey despite her relationship with Savannah, I think there is a lot to learn about her. I liked Jack, not as much as Will (favourite), but I found him fun, fair and determined. I think sometimes he was a bit guarded however I loved how supportive he could be of Savannah. Jack's parents were great! They were fair and very good employers, they seemed more worried about how people thought they treated their staff than worrying about status.

What I didn't love as much:
Savannah's Dad- Initially I thought he was alright but as the book progressed he seemed to be very demanding of Savannah and lacked any ambition for himself or Savannah. He seemed to drag Savannah down! He did begin to recognise that Savannah needed to make her own life towards the end.

Rating!
I loved Savannah, the horse riding aspects and the brilliant side cast!

Looking forward to more of Hundred Oaks!
Which is your favourite so far?
Much Love!
Lettie
Xxx

2 comments:

  1. I like your reviewing style a lot!! I really want to read this series... there's just SO MANY BOOKS for me to get to! But yeah this sounds really cute and I hope I find time for it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment- I'm thrilled you like my reviewing style!
      I felt that way to buy I jumped in with Catching Jordan and because each book can be read as a stand alone I've slowly made my way through the series. It is a very cute well written series :)
      Thanks again for stopping by!

      Delete

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!