Tuesday 16 April 2013

Mini Reviews: Liz Reinhardt Edition!

Mini reviews~ Sometimes I love a book but I just can't do a full review or I just back log reviews!
*This is a new feature so the format isn't fully tested! Please let me know what you think!* I try to keep them short and sweet!

I found Liz Reinhardt through her collaborations with Steph Campbell and NetGalley! I knew straight away she would be on my Mini Review list :) She even has a straight run of 4 Hearts!

Depths
Do you believe in love at first phone call? Cohen Rodriquez, Deo’s hilarious, über responsible best friend in LENGTHS got dumped by his long-time girl because he’s ‘not impulsive enough,’ and he's burned up. But maybe, just maybe, she’s more right than he wants to admit. So he starts to date. A lot. But no one really feels like the one. And the more girls he dates, the more Cohen’s convinced she isn’t really out there. Luckily he has Maren—the girl with the sexy voice who always cracks the best jokes. They’ve been talking daily for a year…on the phone. What started as all work soon blooms into friendship. Then she asks him. Do you want to meet? He's scared out of his mind to ruin the one easy, fun relationship he has going for him. But he takes the plunge, and things are just fine, totally easy and comfortable. Except that they both sense it's not strictly platonic...there is an undeniable attraction and absolute raw chemistry between them…and every time they're in the same room, that attraction gets deeper and harder to ignore. Maren could be the best thing that’s ever happened to Cohen… Or she could send his carefully compartmentalized life into a tailspin. Cohen has to decide if he’s ready to let go of his comfortable fantasy and embrace the one girl who might be able to change his luck in love.
 
I loved Lengths so much I could not wait for Depths!
What I loved:
Cohen- I loved him! He was so different from Deo, less wild but not boring, he was a genuinely nice guy. I felt so bad for him, questioning who he was and how he behaved all because his ex was so mean! I loved how gentlemanly he was on all those dates and with Maren. 
Bromance- I loved Deo and Cohen together! They really complemented each other as best friends, Deo slotted into Cohen's family and vice versa. I loved how Deo was so straight with Cohen, it was exactly what Cohen needed! I liked how Whit just slotted into the setup as well!
What I didn't love as much:
Jason- He was so disgusting and had absolutely no morals! He was important to the plot but I did not like him at all!
Maren's family- There was lots of discussion about Maren's family but I wanted to see more of them, especially her mother and sister. It was such an intriguing family drama!

I loved the characters, the plot and I can not wait to read more about the Rodriquez family in the next part of this series! 
 
Fall Guy
Fiery Evan Lennox is dreading community service, until she meets Winchester Youngblood.
Winch is mysterious and sexy as hell, and Evan soon finds herself falling for his bad boy charm.
But Winch has some dark secrets of his own and they threaten to destroy everything.
Should Evan follow her instincts and give into temptation . . . or will Winchester prove too hot to handle?











I was initially put off this series because I thought Youngblood was a paranormal reference but I decided to give it a chance when I saw it on NetGalley! It definitely isn't paranormal but I maybe should have read the Breanna Blixen books first as it's kind of a spin off.
What I loved:
Savannah- I love the idea of Savannah, it made for a beautiful setting!
Premise- I loved the community service angle, it was really unique to me and made for some very passionate and different interactions and situations. I also enjoyed how the story focussed on the together part of the relationship rather than the getting together part, it was interesting to see how they dealt with all the awkward issues in their way. I loved the Youngblood family, maybe not the older generation, but I liked how devoted to each other they seemed and how that negatively affected almost all of the children.
Characters- Evan and Winch were beautifully flawed, I liked how well they clicked together; their personalities and lives really complimented each other. Winch was such a decent guy just being misused by his family, the conflict in his life was so clear and intriguing to read that I couldn't stop until I knew how he was going to get away from it all. I loved the individual personalities of the Youngbloods, from Ithaca's fierce defiance to Benali's dutiful peace-making to Colt's passion for the wrong sport, I could really see how different they were and it made me impatient for the next instalment!
What I didn't love as much:
Writing style- Liz's writing style initially bothered me I can't put my finger on why. However once I adjusted to it I sped through both Fall Guy and Double Clutch.
Older Characters- The older generation seemed to be very contradictory. Evan's Grandma spoke of risking everything for love but didn't support Evan doing just that. The Youngblood parents were selfishly using their children for their own gain regardless of how that affected their health etc. I also found Remy very self destructive, he seemed like a likeable guy but he kept on wrecking his own life for no real reason knowing full well he wasn't just ruining his own life.
I loved the premise, the characters and I cannot wait to read the next book!
 
Double Clutch

Who to choose . . .?
Thrust back into school life after a year in Denmark, Brenna Blixen is soon making new friends and catching the eye of two boys with bad reputations. There's the dark and mysterious Saxon, and the gorgeous and sexy Jake.
They're both totally hot and totally into Brenna.
But Saxon and Jake have unresolved history and Brenna's caught in the middle.
It's time to make some tough choices, fast.










I also put off Double Clutch for awhile just because I dislike love triangles! NetGalley made me give it a go and I really enjoyed it!

What I loved:
Breanna- I loved how different she was from the usual female leads! She was so  upbeat and forthright, it was great to read. I loved how her different upbringing, from Denmark to before her mum for married really affected her personality for the better. I liked her relationship with her mother and how close they were, which made it awkward when she kept certain things from her! I really admired her straight forward approach to the guys, it made a chance from the usual back and forth!
Saxon and Jake- I am in love with both of these guys! I don't want to spoil anything so I will keep my love brief. I loved how layered both of them were, both had there negative parts and were completely different yet similar. I couldn't choose between them!
Side Cast- The side cast were brilliant! I loved her parents and the family dynamic they had especially when doing up Breanna's bedroom! They were such a stable unit! I loved how Kelsie happily picked her old friendship with Breanna back up like no time had past. I liked how creative she was and her own story which was interwoven with Breanna's. Devon grew on me, initially he annoyed me but I loved the inclusion of his backstory and how Breanna included him! I liked how Folly were such an uniting force throughout the story, giving Breanna a creative outlet, a link with Saxon, Kelsie a boyfriend and a big event for everyone to attend!
 What I didn't love as much:
Ending- I like clear endings! Double Clutch ended without much conclusion. It's obviously leading in to the next books which is a positive as I do want mere Breanna, Jake and Saxon!
Love Triangle- I was already wary of the love triangle angle from the blurb. I love Jake and Saxon equally and at least one will be heartbroken :(. Which is what I dislike most about love triangles!
I loved this one despite the love triangle! I loved the literacy references, the teen girl crafts, and of course the characters!

Are you a Liz Reinhardt fan??
Much Love!
Lettie
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!