Sunday 10 February 2013

Speechless by Hannah Harrington

Speechless
Everyone knows that Chelsea Knot can’t keep a secret
Until now. Because the last secret she shared turned her into a social outcast—and nearly got someone killed.
Now Chelsea has taken a vow of silence—to learn to keep her mouth shut, and to stop hurting anyone else. And if she thinks keeping secrets is hard, not speaking up when she’s ignored, ridiculed and even attacked is worse.
But there’s strength in silence, and in the new friends who are, shockingly, coming her way—people she never noticed before; a boy she might even fall for. If only her new friends can forgive what she’s done. If only she can forgive herself.


I've wanted to read Hannah Harrington since Saving June so I jumped at the chance to request this one on NetGalley!

What I loved:
  • Chelsea- I loved Chelsea! Yes she was obviously flawed but she had a very strong character- most teenage girls gossip but no one thinks of the consequences. I think it said alot about Chelsea that she shared the gossip because she was intrigued not that she was disgusted or judgemental. She was brave enough to recognise her role and reported it despite the consequences. I thought it was realistic to portray her as occasionally fantasising about what life would be like without confessing and missing Kirsten. I loved how being mute really enhanced  her character and how she developed relationships with new friends. 
  • Sam- I have so much love for him- he is the kind of guy who gets over looked in school but is really sweet and decent! I liked how he gave Chelsea a chance and got to know her despite her lack of talking. He was in a difficult position as Noah's best friend but he didn't judge Chelsea or treated her too harshly. He was such a good friend to Asha and how he battled with how to treat Noah after the incident- it made him very relatable and realistic.
  • Diner Crew- I really enjoyed the whole vibe of the diner and the staff! I loved Asha, she was so warm and sweet. I loved how quirky she was! Dex and L, exactly the kind of fun loving couple you imagine owning a retro diner couple I would love to work for them! I liked the dynamic between Andy and Chelsea and how it developed- he could see that she hadn't envisioned the consequences and Chelsea knew she owned him an apology.
  • Plot- I loved the subject matter! People assume homophobic attacks happen 'other places' with people they don't know. However two guys who Chelsea thought she knew turned out to be violent bigots. I think it was an important message on discrimination and gossip.

What I didn't love as much:
  • Kirsten- Such a mean girl! She was so selfish and self absorbed- she knew what they would do and didn't even attempt to stop them. I thought the way she threw Chelsea to the wolves was awful- they had been BFFs for years! 
  • School System- Chelsea was publicly involved in a violent incidence and then stopped talking and none of the teachers or counsellors really attempted to check on her!!!

I absolutely loved the themes and the characters!

Is Saving June just as good?
Much Love!
Lettie
Xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!