Thursday 20 September 2012

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan

16 years ago, Waverly and Kieran were the first children born in space. Now a perfect couple, they are the pride and joy of the whole spaceship. They represent the future. The ship is their entire world. They have never seen a stranger before. Old Earth is crumbling, and the crew is hoping to reach (and colonise) New Earth within fifty years. Along with their allies on the second spaceship - who set off a year before them and whom they have never met. One day, Kieran proposes to Waverly. That same morning, the 'allies' attack - and Kieran and Waverly are separated in the cruelest way possible. Will they ever see each other again?

This was my first sci-fi style dystopia and I really liked it! I actually picked up the gorgeous cover over a year ago but completely forgot about it until this summer!

What I loved:
  • Kieran- He was highly likable and kind. Essentially he was a fundamentally a good guy if a little intense! I liked how he remained true to his convictions despite Seth's treatment.
  • Setting- I really enjoyed the fact it was set in space on spaceships instead of a post-apocalyptic Earth for a chance. It allowed for a completely different environment and society.
  • Comparisons- I couldn't help but make comparisons to colonial America. Jamestown which was more commercial and rough with more men seemed to correspond to Empyrean. New Horizon and New England were very clearly similar with the initial emphasis on family and the extreme religion. I liked the incorporation of colonial names such as Mathers, they gave a colonial feel to a sci fi setting.
  • Waverly- She wasn't especially likable but she was brave, independent and very capable. I liked how she remained true to the Empyrean and had the good sense to question Anne.
  • Dual Viewpoints- I always love this! It was especially useful as it allowed movement between New Horizon and Empyrean, Waverly and Kieran plus moved time along.
What I didn't love as much:
  • Seth- Initially I liked him but after part 3 he went way down in my estimations. He had the choice to take charge or allow Kieran to, neither of which he did. When he did take charge but deception he really reminded me of his Dad and Anne Mathers with his use of brute force and fear. His treatment of Kieran although backed with logic was harsh and unnecessary. He's got a lot of work to do in Spark if I've ever going to be on his side!
  • New Horizon- I get that Anne had a hold over them but they couldn't of all been that naive to think that girls recently ripped from their families would want to 'help' them. Disturbing bunch of people.
  • Anne Mather- Insane cult leader! She was very creepy and disturbing. I think she was exaggerating the men of Empyrean- I'm sure they may have been  lecherous but a couple of the men on New Horizon seemed that way. New Horizon had  the exact same population due to fertility problems so the men didn't really have any 'new' women to fixate on. She was paranoid and a blatant liar. Even creepier she seemed to believe her own lies- how could she think what she did to Empyrean was justified, she clearly kidnapped innocent people for her own gain if it had been a rescue mission she wouldn't have been so selective. I really hope that she dies in one of the books, harsh I know!

I really enjoyed this book but it was highly disturbing at times- I think it's because the exploitation in this book is personal rather than violent as it usually is in dystopia! 

Have you read Glow?
What's your opinion on Kieran/Seth? Do you also eagerly anticipate Anne's death?

Much Love!
Lettie
Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!