Friday 17 August 2012

The Selection by Kiera Cass


Thirty-five beautiful girls. Thirty-five beautiful rivals…
It’s the chance of a lifetime and 17-year-old America Singer should feel lucky. She has been chosen for The Selection, a reality TV lottery in which the special few compete for gorgeous Prince Maxon’s love.
Swept up in a world of elaborate gowns, glittering jewels and decadent feasts, America is living a new and glamorous life. And the prince takes a special interest in her, much to the outrage of the others.
Rivalry within The Selection is fierce and not all of the girls are prepared to play by the rules. But what they don’t know is that America has a secret – one which could throw the whole competition… and change her life forever.

If I had to describe this book I'd say it's a dystopia fairy tale with a twist! Gorgeous cover and enchanting story!

Don't let all the comparisons put you off. I've never watched the Bachelor and I'm not a Britain's Next Top Model fan but I liked the Selection.
I think the basic concepts of those shows show up in The Selection, the lottery of 35 girls who go and stay with one guy who will select one and the makeovers. However these devices are pretty neutral aspects and comparisons are just there to entice people.

What I loved:
  • America- She grew on me! I admired her initial disinterest in The Selection and how she wasn't too bothered by class. I liked her honesty and I could see why the public liked her- she was much more down to earth than the other girls!
  • Marlee- I liked how warm and friendly she was but for some reason I don't trust her....Which I like as it lets me come up with conspiracy theories!
  • Maxon- What a lovely if sheltered guy! It was interesting to see his view of the Selection and how odd and confusing he found it. He was very considerate of the girls trying to be honest and open although like most boys he is easily fooled by a pretty face and a fake personality! He took his future role of King very seriously and tried his best to think for his people before himself- fictional princes can sometimes be selfish and stupid so it made a nice change. I'm looking forward to seeing him develop in the next book.
  • Royal Family- Loved the genuine affection between them all. Queen Amberly's sister, Adele brought a lot of 'outsideness' to the palace and humanised the royal family. I think Adele had a good idea on the Queen and the effect of Selection on the family.
  • World and Premise- Really liked this world, it is like a medieval style futuristic world! I loved the way the classes were sectioned out and how America wasn't in the worst class. The selection idea was clever and more of a fairy tale or fantasy style cliche which felt completely fresh combined with dystopia.

What I didn't love as much:
  • Aspen- I initially liked him but that dwindled after about one chapter! I don't think he'd thought as much about their future as Americahad , he may have thought he was noble but he just seemed kinda dismissive and rude!
  • Celeste- I've never read a nice Celeste so I wasn't expecting much! She was mean, stuck up and manipulative- as anticipated!
It was a quick read and left me desperate for the next instalment! It is a relatively lighter dystopia with the feel of a YA contemporary that I would recommend :)

What do you think of this book?
Much Love!
Lettie
xxxx

1 comment:

  1. i don't really like america...i gave 3 stars for the selection :)

    ReplyDelete

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!