Thursday 16 August 2012

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire



Good Girl. Abby Abernathy doesn't drink or swear and she works hard. Abby believes she has created enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college, her dreams of a new beginning are quickly challenged by the university's walking one-night stand. Bad Boy. Travis Maddox, handsome, built, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs - and wants - to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight club, and his days as the notorious college Lothario. A disaster waiting to happen...Intrigued by Abby's resistance to his charms, Travis tricks her into his life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain celibate for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis' apartment for the same amount of time. Or the start of something beautiful? Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match. Or that this is the start of an obsessive, intense relationship that will lead them both into unimaginable territory...

This one has been doing the blog rounds! I requested it on NetGalley and got lucky again!
It's been described as like Fifty Shades of Grey which put me off a little but it was nothing like it. It was fun easy to read and hot!

What I loved:
  • The relationships- the bond between America and Abby, America may have been a bad conscience but she was such a good friend. I liked Shep's loyalty to Travis and their easy going relationship. I loved Shep and America they were so cute. Travis and Abby just simmered with passion!
  • College Setting- I loved the fact it was set in a college and the characters were older- made a great change from all the high school settings :)
  • Plot- I would never have guessed Abby's 'past' as it wasn't cliched which made a nice change. I loved how Travis's family was explored instead of just left in the background.
  • Finch- loved this character! Quintessential gay best friend and so much more. I loved how he crawled under the toiler door to comfort Abby!
  • Travis' evolution- Travis did change and evolve as a person throughout the book although realistically he could evolve a little bit more and I think he probably will! I loved how he seemed to changed because of Abby not for her, showing the positive effect their relationship had on Abby.
  • Nickname- Travis randomly nicknamed Abby Pigeon which I found weird but it really grew on me! It ended up sounding cute.
 
What I didn't love as much:
  • Abby- She got on my nerves at times. She was so blind to Travis' affections- which is something I find annoying in real life! I also found her a  inconsistent at times which bugged me!
  • Violence- As Travis is in a fight club there was a lot of fighting and I have a thing about blood. It didn't bother me too much but every now and then I'd read a reference to blood and feel a bit queasy!
  • Past- I want to know more about Abby's past and Travis' family. While reading I felt it could of been explored but now I see it would have made it so much longer!
  • The Ending- not a fan! If you've read it I'm just not a fan of that style of ending, it felt a bit rushed to me. But I was happy that it was at least a positive ending- for awhile I thought it was going to turn tragic on me!
I really enjoyed this book, once I picked it up I could not put it down! The chemistry was so good I had to finish their story.
It left me wanting more and I was hoping for a Shep/America companion book however I will have to settle for Walking Disaster- Travis' point of view! Think I'll manage :)
If you want a quick engaging chemistry filled read, I would recommend Beautiful Disaster!

Let me know your opinion!
Much Love!
Lettie
xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!